The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, September 20, 2021

Deference part 1

September 20, 2021


LESSON 38: DEFERENCE

A. Definition of deference: 

B. An example from my everyday life:

C. A positive example from the Bible: Ex. 2:25; Lev. 26:9; Ps. 119:6; 119:15; 1 Pet. 1:17 

D. A negative example from the Bible: James 2:3; 2:9; Is. 43:23; Lam. 1:8; 1 Cor. 4:10. 

E. Thinking about deference in my own life:

1. When have I shown deference? 

2. In what situation did I fail to show deference? 

3. What problem in my life could God use to build deference? 

4. Who can be a Christian model for me of deference? 

5. How can I develop this quality in my life?

F. A scripture verse I will memorize to help build deference into my life: Phil. 2:3.

G. Self-evaluation:

1. Have I realized that sin is not just a private matter?

2. Do I understand that everything I do affects others? 

3. Do I know that God created me to be interdependent, not independent?

4. Do I get excited about trusting God for all my needs? 

5. Do I treat others with love, patience, and self-restraint? 

6. Do I honor my father and mother? 

7. Do I honor those who have been charged with my spiritual oversight? 

8. Do I consider others of more value than myself?

9. If friends, neighbors, or family don't respect my Christian work, am I allowing their rejection to keep me from serving God? 

10. Do I use God as an excuse to avoid helping my family? 

11. Am I trying to raise my social status, whether by being with the right people, dressing for success, or driving the right car? 

12. Am I trying to impress people for all the wrong reasons?

No comments: