The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, July 19, 2021

Discretion part 1

 July 19, 2021


LESSON 29: DISCRETION
A. Definition of discretion: 
B. An example from my everyday life:
C. A positive example from the Bible: Dan. 1:8-16; Matt. 21:23-27; Luke 2:15-19; Acts 15:6-30; Rom 14:13-23.
D. A negative example from the Bible: Judges 11:29-40; Eccles. 5:1-7; Matt. 19:16-26; Luke 1:8-23; Gal. 2:1-5, 11-16.
E. Thinking about discretion in my own life:
1. When have I shown discretion? 
2. In what situation did I fail to show discretion?
3. What problem in my life could God use to build discretion?
4. Who can be a Christian model for me of discretion?
5. How can I develop this quality in my life?
F. A scripture verse I will memorize to help build discretion into my life: Prov. 10:19; Eccles. 8:5; Rom. 12:2, 9; Rom 14:19 or 22; 1 Cor. 2:14 or 15; 8:9; Heb. 4:12; 5:14. 
G. Self-evaluation:
1. When I choose my clothing, do I consider how people will respond? 
2. Do I think it is important to avoid the appearance of evil as well as evil itself? 
3. Are there activities which are not wrong in themselves but would be wrong for me? 
4. When evaluating an activity, do I ask, “Whatʼs wrong with it?” Or “What is Godʼs best for me?” 
5. Do I want Godʼs best, or do I just want to avoid doing whatʼs wrong?
6. Do I feel pressured to do things because my friends are able to do them?
7. Do I think it is necessary to sometimes stand alone, even when I risk losing my friends? 
8. When faced with difficult decisions, do I usually make the right one? 
9. Do I listen carefully to the advice of those over me in the Lord? 
10. Am I good at keeping secrets? 
11. Do I have any secrets with the Lord? 
12. Is my life an example of the saying, “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread”? 
13. Do I have a standard for making judgments or decisions? 
14. Is that standard a Biblical one?
15. Do I use the rule “When in doubt, donʼt”? 
16. Will I cooperate with God to increase my discretion?

No comments: