The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Friday, May 14, 2021

Attentiveness part 5

 May 14, 2021


LESSON 19: ATTENTIVENESS

A. Definition of attentiveness:

B. An example from my everyday life:

C. A positive example from the Bible: Ex. 18:19-24; Ps. 34; John 10:1-5; Rev. 3:15-22.

D. A negative example from the Bible: Num. 22:15-35; Prov. 29:12; Isa. 7:10-15; Matt.             13:10-17; 16:21-25; John 6:58-61.

E. Thinking about attentiveness in my own life:
    1. When have I been attentive?
    2. In what situation did I fail to be attentive? 
    3. To whom would God want me to be more attentive? 
    4. What problem in my life could God use to build attentiveness? 
    5. How can I develop this quality in my life?

F. A scripture verse I will memorize to help build attentiveness into my life: Ps. 25:5; 40:1;         Prov. 12:15; 23:12; 23:22; Mark 4:23; Heb. 2:1.

G. Self-evaluation:
    1. Would those close to me consider me to be a good listener? 
    2. Am I a good listener? Do my facial expressions and other gestures show that I am                 listening intently?
    3. When I am spoken to, do I stop what I am doing, look and listen? 
    4. Do I always look at the person who is speaking to me or do I glance away to other                 people or other distractions? 
    5. Are there certain people I pay more attention to than others? Do I know why? 
    6. How hard do my authorities (parents/employer) have to work to gain my attention?
    7. Do I listen to another person without wishing he would stop so that I could say                     something more interesting?
    8. Do I listen carefully when assignments are given to me so that the information is                     clear? 
    9. Do I ever make others uncomfortable by looking at my watch when they are talking?
    10. Have I cultivated the practice of responding to the inner voice of the Holy Spirit? 
    11. Do my personal prayer times include times of quiet meditation and listening to God? 
    12. Have I told God that I will do whatever He tells me to do if He makes it clear to me? 
    13. Do I have a recent testimony of how Scripture has spoken to me?

No comments: