The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Friendliness part 2

January 26, 2021 devotional

This week we are examining the biblical principle of friendliness.  It is best understood as displaying warmth and kindness toward others and truly desiring what is best for them.  One excellent example of this characteristic is found in Luke 10:29-37.  Its a story about a religious leaders - an expert in Jewish Law - and a Samaritan man.

The religious expert knew God had commanded his people to "Love your neighbor as yourself (Leviticus 19:18).  But this expert wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus to clearly define who his neighbor truly was.  The Lord's answer is known as the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

A certain Jewish man was mobbed by bandits and left for dead.  The only individual who was kind, warm, and caring was a despised Samaritan; someone who had abandoned the true Jewish faith.  The Lord's lesson here was the the one who demonstrated friendliness, even toward someone who hated him, was the one who truly fulfilled God's Law.

A Christian must never feel they have the right to be unfriendly... even toward those who hate them.

But we struggle with this, don't we?  I know I do.  I have angered and upset my share of people over the years, even during my pastoral ministry.  There have been folks who prayed I would resign and leave their church, and I knew this; I knew they were praying I would leave.  I was forced to resign in one of the churches I served, and was never given a reason; just told to pack up and be out of the office in 4 day.  Does friendliness come naturally when I think of these people?  No, not really.  When I rely on my own strength or follow my feelings, I don't want to demonstrate friendliness.  But we have not been commanded to depend on our own fortitude, have we?  Christ has told us that in all circumstances we are to fix our eyes on Him, the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).

Our wounds, our hurts, the bruises we have received from others in this world are the things which keep us from running the race (Hebrews 12:1).  We are encumbered by those who have wounded our lives.  those who despise us - who hate us - have hindered our ability to be friendly.  And chances are these people will never come to you seeking forgiveness.  Therefore, we must fix our eyes (our hearts) on someone else.

This story about the Good Samaritan is marvelous; he showed kindness and friendliness toward this wounded Jewish man who, on any other day, would have spit in his face.  Yet the Samaritan man "did to others as he would have them do to him (Matthew 7:12).

The lesson here is obvious; you and I should do the same.  When we show friendliness and tenderness toward those who despise us, we are truly following the commands of God.

Where we find the ability to live like this is something we will look at tomorrow.

No comments: