The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Sunday, September 11, 2016

He’s Right - September 11, 2016 sermon






By Pastor Greg


So it seems that these four ministers had a series of theological arguments, and three were always against the fourth.  One day, after the usual 3 to 1 vote, the odd pastor out decided to appeal to a higher authority.  "Oh, Lord!" he cried.  "I know in my heart that I am right and they are wrong!  Please give me a sign to prove it to them!"  As soon as the minister finished his prayer, a storm cloud moved across the sunny sky right above the four pastors.  It rumbled once and dissolved.  "A sign from God!  See, I'm right, I knew it!" said the fourth pastor, but the other three disagreed since storm clouds can form on hot days.  So the pastor prayed again: "Oh, God, I need a bigger sign.”  This time four storm clouds appeared, rushed toward each other to form one big cloud, and a bolt of lightning slammed into a nearby tree.  "I told you I was right!" cried the minister, but his friends insisted that it all could be explained by natural causes.  The Pastor was getting ready to ask for a *very big* sign, but just as he said, "Oh God...," the sky turned pitch black, the earth shook, and a deep, booming voice said, "HEEEEEEEE'S RIIIIIIIGHT!”  The minister put his hands on his hips, turned to the other three, and said, "Well?"  One of the other pastors shrugged and said, "So.  Now it's 3 to 2."
Some people are so stubborn.  They simply will not believe, no matter what might happen.  This kind of reminds me of a group of people who heard God speak to Jesus one day.  Some believed.  However, some thought it was just thunder (John 12:28-29).  Apparently, they still needed convincing.  Some of them doubted that the words of Jesus were true.  So God shouts, “He’s right”.  And yet in John 12:37-38 we read, 37 But despite all the miraculous signs Jesus had done, most of the people still did not believe in him. 38 This is exactly what Isaiah the prophet had predicted: “Lord, who has believed our message? To whom has the Lord revealed his powerful arm?”
John says these people refused to believe the message of Jesus because God blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts (John 12:40).  In other words, God was not going to force them to open their eyes or open their hearts.  If these people were going to be this stubborn, then God was not going to intervene.  I mean, think about what these people had seen and heard.  Many of them witnessed Jesus shout the name of a dead man and watch him come back to life.  Many saw Him feed the crowds, heal the sick, give sight to the blind, and help the lame walk again.  Some even watched Him calm a storm and walk on water.  And here, God had just spoken from Heaven confirming that the words of Jesus were true.  Yet they would not believe.  What more could Jesus do to confirm the truth?  But instead of shrugging His shoulders and walking away, Jesus persists.  He shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. 45 For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me” (John 12:44-45).  It seems Jesus sincerely wants these people to open their hearts and believe.  It seems like their rejection is a big deal; as if their very life depended on trusting and believing in Him. 

So, have you ever wondered why Jesus is such a big deal?  Why is it so important that a person believe in Jesus and trust in His message?  Why did Christians back then and Christians today insist that Jesus is our Savior?  And what exactly does He save us from in the first place?  What’s out there that is so terrible, that it took the death of Jesus to save us? 
Jesus often spoke of a future time when people would be cast into outer darkness (compare Luke 13:28).  In another conversation, Jesus said that the wicked would be thrown, “into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matthew 13:50).  What does all of this mean?  It means that a time is coming when, “cowards, unbelievers, the corrupt, murderers, the immoral, those who practice witchcraft, idol worshipers, and all liars—their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death” (Revelation 21:8).
Jesus ends this conversation in John 12 by saying, 46 I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. 47 I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. 48 But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. 49 I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say.”
One day, humanity will face a Day of Judgment.  God will put an end to wickedness, selfishness, and deceit.  However, in His mercy, God sent Jesus to offer His life as a ransom BEFORE that day arrives.  A Day of Judgment is coming, says Jesus, but He has come to spare us from this terrible Day of the Lord.
Listen, I want to make this as clear as I possibly can.  When the Lord takes the Church away, those left behind will face a horrible future.  There will be religious persecution, financial persecution, and political persecution.  A man who is empowered by the Devil will be in control of everything.  And eventually, God will unleash severe judgments upon him and all who worship this Antichrist.  Eventually, earth and the sky above will be destroyed.  But even then, many will not believe.  Even after Jesus reigns on this earth for a thousand years, some still will not believe, and because they reject Jesus and His message, they will be cast into a lake of fire for the rest of eternity.
The future of this world and its people is darker than anything we have ever imagined.  Yet in His mercy, God sent Jesus with a message of peace.  By accepting Jesus as the Messiah (the Savior) and by believing His message, we are saved from the disaster that awaits us.  That’s why the words of Jesus are such a big deal.  That’s why it’s important for you and me to accept Jesus as Savior.  Because of Him, we are spared from living a nightmare.

Today we are living in the day of grace; the time between the Cross and the Second Coming of Christ.  Right now, Jesus is offering to save us; to spare us the Day of Judgment.   That’s why Jesus and His message is such a big deal.  It not a matter of you finding your way to Heaven, as some religions suggest.   It’s a matter of accepting the Man from Heaven God sent to save.  This is why we call Him Savior.

No comments: