The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, August 10, 2015

A Prayer for Deliverance - August 9, 2015 sermon






By Pastor Greg

A woman brought a very limp parrot into a veterinary clinic.  As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest.  After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, Polly has passed away."  The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?  I mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything.  He might just be in a coma or something."  The vet rolled his eyes, shrugged, turned and left the room, returning a few moments later with a beautiful black Labrador.   As the bird's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the dead parrot from top to bottom.  He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.  The vet took the dog out but returned a few moments later with a cat. The cat jumped up and sniffed delicately at the bird as well.  The cat sat back, shook its head, meowed and ran out of the room.   The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but like I said, your parrot is most definitely, 100% certifiably dead."  He then turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.   The parrot's owner, still in shock, took the bill.  "$150?" she cried, "$150 just to tell me my bird is dead?!!!"  The vet shrugged.  "If you'd taken my word for it, the bill would only have been $20, but what with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan..."
If only this woman could have accepted what the vet had said earlier.  If only she could have accepted his “no”.  However, like many of us, we just don’t like being told “no.” 
A man in the Bible named Paul had to deal with God’s “no”.  The Lord sent him to preach throughout the Roman Empire.  Paul had great success leading many Jews to the Lord, but his greatest success was in helping countless non-Jews find eternal life in Jesus.  He, and the other members of his missionary team, traveled around the Mediterranean Sea ministering in many cities.  They preached the Gospel of Jesus from Lebanon to Syria, Turkey, the island of Cypress, Greece, and eventually Rome.  Yet throughout all his travels, Paul had something that continually worked against him.  He called it a “Thorn in the Flesh”.
In his second letter to the church in Corinth (which was located in Greece), Paul tells them that before he started these missionary trips, he had a supernatural encounter with God.  In paradise, God spoke to Paul revealing things that he just could not put into words.  This encounter with God could have become the central thrust of his work.  Paul could have boasted about this over and over again, but he doesn’t.  Paul writes, 6 “If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.  Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong[1] (2 Corinthians 12:6-10).
Whatever the thorn might have been, it was not the issue.  The main point is that three times Paul asked the Lord to take it away.  Yet God says, “No.”  Paul is told that God’s grace is all he needed.  He is reminded that the power of God is best revealed through a person’s weaknesses.  The message Paul preached seemed genuine BECAUSE of his weakness; his “Thorn in the Flesh”.  Paul’s acceptance of God’s “no” is an indication that he had indeed allowed God to become Lord of his life, that he had prayed, “Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory”. 
God’s “no” must be understood in terms of His character.  Here we see Paul wanting God to remove this thorn, yet God’s “no” was wrapped in His love and divine wisdom.  GHod informs Paul that if the thorn was removed, he may battle pride issues (become arrogant and self-righteous) which would destroy his ability to minister.  God didn’t say “no” because He was angry or disappointed with Paul, but because the Father knew what the outcome would be.  God answered Paul asking him to simply rest in His grace.  “My grace is sufficient for you” – meaning that Paul was to trust in the love of God. 

Have you ever heard God tell you “no”?  It’s not an easy word to hear.  I have found that this is one of the most difficult aspects of our relationship with God and with Jesus.  It is one thing to call them Lord.  It is far more difficult to permit them to be Lord of our life, especially when they say “no.” 
Maybe you expected God to say “Yes” to your prayer.  Maybe you demanded He say “Yes,” threatening to walk away if things didn’t go your way.  Of all the lessons I’ve learned about prayer, from courage, to faith, to boldness, I think this one is the most difficult.  It’s the point where Jesus teaches me to say, “For Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory forever.”  It’s the lesson where I say, “As You wish.”  It’s when I can accept God’s “no” because I have come to understand God’s grace.
There are no magic prayers or secret formulas that will cause God to answer “yes” to all our prayers.  Those books that tell you God is just waiting to give you all that you desire simply are not true.  The people who wrote these books have forgotten that God is our Father.  He is Lord.  He is the potter; we are the clay.  They disregard what God said through the Prophet Jeremiah.  “So I went down to the potter’s house and found him working at his wheel. 18:4 Now and then there would be something wrong with the pot he was molding from the clay with his hands. So he would rework the clay into another kind of pot as he saw fit.   18:5 Then the Lord said to me, 18:6 “I, the Lord, say: ‘O nation of Israel, can I not deal with you as this potter deals with the clay? In my hands, you, O nation of Israel, are just like the clay in this potter’s hand[2] (Jeremiah 18:3-5).  If God is our Lord and Master, then we must learn to accept His “no”.  Yet as Christians, we have been promised God’s grace.  His grace is what helps us accept His “no”.  Like Paul, we receive the grace we need to accept God’s “no”, and that Grace comes through a relationship with His Son, Christ Jesus.
God is not a Grandfather who spoils us and gives us ice cream and hour before bedtime.  He is our Father, and our Father knows what is best for us.  However, what’s best for us is not always what makes us happy.  And the sooner we realize this, the sooner we will be able to pray, “Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen”.



[1] Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed.) (2 Co 12:6–10). Carol Stream, IL
[2] Biblical Studies Press. (2006). The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible (Je 18:3–6).

No comments: