The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Currents

I just finished reading a magazine published by the denomination.  It seems much of what was presented was designed to encourage change.  I was called to open my heart and mind to the new ways God was working in the church and through the church.  I was presented with facts and studies that told me how the old way of thinking were becoming irrelevant and outdated.  I was told that the old approach to the Bible and the old interpretations were driving young adults away from the church.  I read the magazine thinking that I should be convicted for feeling differently.  I felt that at some point in my reading, the Holy Spirit should be loosened within me to do His work, and convict.

The trouble is that I didn't feel a twinge.  Not one prick.  At no point did the Spirit grip my heart and convict me for feeling contrary to what was written.  And yet here were good people writing passionately about their thoughts and feelings.  They incorporated scripture to make a point.  They presented me with current trends and facts that should cause me to stand up and take notice.  But, as I said, I felt nothing.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I've been convicted by the Spirit on many occasions.  I know what it feels like to have the Spirit jump from behind the organ and wrestle my heart to the ground.  But on this day I could not help but wonder why He was not confronting me like He has so often in the past.

I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect it had something to do with currents.

In contrast to what is often spoken by some Christian leaders today, where we are encouraged to follow trends and adapt our theology to what is popular, Christian leaders in the past called us turn away from trends and adopt a theology that is not popular.  In other words, instead of riding the current, the early Christian leaders called us to turn and swim upstream.  The apostles of Jesus seemed to point us toward Jesus or taught us to reject popular opinion and instead follow the teachings of God.  And I suspect this is the big difference.  In New Testament times Christians were called to embrace a way of living that resisted the current; to "hold fast to the Word of Life" (Philippians 2:16).

Christian leaders today should be calling people to hold on to something, not let go and be swept away.  But unfortunately that is exactly what some are doing.  Some Christian leaders, even within my denomination, are calling people to let go.  And perhaps that's why I was not convicted.  I once followed the current and allowed my life to be swept away by what was popular.  At one time in my life I followed the broad path.  And it was from that very path God called me.  He did not convict me to stay the course, to ride the current, or follow the crowd.  He pointed to the destination and called me to turn away from destruction; to walk the narrow path (see Matthew 7:14).

Maybe that's why the Spirit was silent.  Or then again, maybe He was not quite so silent after all.  He did give me a troubled heart from what I was reading.  But not troubled so that I might change, but troubled so that I might remain steadfast and immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that my toil is not in vain (compare 1 Corinthians 15:58).

Borrowing the words of the Apostle Paul, may I remind you to hold fast to the teachings of God instead of following the current?  May I remind you to "prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life" (Philippians 2:15-16).

No comments: