The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Big Box of Forgiveness - May 4th, 2014 sermon

By Pastor Greg

Do you remember the story of the paralyzed man who was lowered through the roof? To demonstrate His power, Jesus heals his body, a task that was embarrassingly simple for our Savior. He says, “Get up and walk” (Luke 5:24). That’s it! And for the Jews in that room who were wondering about this Jesus guy, they most certainly needed a bigger box.

Do you remember the disciples who were out on the boat during a storm? They fought the waves like Captain Jack Sparrow. Petrified, they wake up Jesus who walks to the bow of the boat and says (yes, says) “simmer down”. And the storm obeys. Do you think the disciples needed a bigger box? I do, cause the one they were trying to put Jesus in was like way too small.

Every time Jesus spoke, every wave of His hand and every time He spit in someone’s eye, the crowd that followed Him needed to get a bigger box. This fellow was far more that meets the eye. But you want to know the most impressive things Jesus really did? It was the times He would forgive people’s sins. Think back to that paralyzed man who was lowered through the roof. What was the first thing Jesus said? Do you remember? He said, “Your sins are forgiven”. Jesus says, “All the things that you have done wrong toward others, all the times you’ve disobeyed God, and all the wicked thoughts you’ve had, I now forgive”. It’s the forgiveness side of Jesus that makes me need to get a bigger box.

Read through the Gospels some time. Tell me if you don’t notice a trend. When people came to Jesus, all He heard was “Make me better”, “Fix my problem”, “Help my child”, “Make more wine”. But tell me, who came to Jesus begging for their sins to be forgiven? Did anyone? No, because it seems all we humans can think about is the shallow comforts of this present life.

Most of us approach Jesus the same way. Most of us spend our time before the Lord asking things like, “Lord, I really need help on this test”. “Jesus, please help Josh notice me”. “God, please heal my grandpa who is really sick”. That’s the depth of most people’s prayers. Really, that’s it? That’s all you want or expect from Jesus? From God? I say, get a bigger box!

King Solomon seemed to have a grasp on the majesty and grandness of God. He confesses in 1 Kings 8:27, But will God really live on earth? Why, even the highest heavens cannot contain you. How much less this Temple I have built!” And as Solomon prayed during this dedication of the Temple, I think he had a better understanding of God that most of us do today. Listen to these words. 28 Nevertheless, listen to my prayer and my plea, O Lord my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is making to you today. 29 May you watch over this Temple night and day, this place where you have said, ‘My name will be there.’ May you always hear the prayers I make toward this place. 30 May you hear the humble and earnest requests from me and your people Israel when we pray toward this place. Yes, hear us from heaven where you live, and when you hear, forgive. (1 Kings 8:28-30)

Do you hear what Solomon is asking? He says, "Lord, forgive us when we pray". He doesn’t ask God to bless the nation, to give them all they need to prosper, to subdue their enemies. And (this is surprising to me) he doesn’t say, "Lord, when we sacrifice, forgive''. That thinking is surprisingly absent here. No, Solomon recognizes that the singular most important and the most powerful thing God can do is to forgive. Solomon sure had a bigger understanding of God than most. And I want a box as big as his.

Okay, two things we need to learn here. First of all Solomon understood that forgiveness is far more important than human comfort. Later on Solomon even confesses that when bad things happen to the nation, it’s probably because they have sinned (verses 31-53). And secondly, he understands that forgiveness is granted, not earned. God doesn’t forgive us because we’ve been good, but because we’ve asked Him for grace and mercy.

These are great lessons from Solomon, lessons that I believe will help us gain a bigger understanding of who God is and the role He plays in our life. But I’d like to add my own two cents here as well. You know that forgiveness thing we’ve been talking about? Well, I think we need to realize that forgiveness is for everyone, not just for you. Okay, so George has made your life miserable. Well, guess what. When he prays to God for forgiveness, you know what will happen? That’s right. God will forgive. And in order to understand how this boy who tormented your life for years can find forgiveness from God, you’re gonna need a bigger box.

No comments: