The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, November 14, 2022

Who Made You Judge - May 22, 2022 sermon

         Have you ever stopped and wondered at some of the things people eat?  Can you imagine the first person who held something in their hand and said, “I’m going to eat this”?  I can just picture a group of boys standing around on the beach and one of them says, “Look what I found!”  You know – you know it happened this way – one of the older boys said, “I dare you to eat it.”

I remember watching a guy trying to muster the courage to eat raw oysters.  He’d pick up the plate, swirl it around, lift it to his mouth, then chicken out.  Don’t blame him.  I won’t even eat cooked oysters!  Yes, it’s true.  I was quite the disappointment to my family.  At reunions, aunts and uncles would stand around in hushed tones saying “Did you hear about Lois and Barney’s boy?  They say he doesn’t even like oysters or shrimp!”

I’ll never forget the first time I noticed the smell of sauerkraut (“noticed” is a bit too kind of a description, I think. “Assaulted” is probably more accurate).  I thought we were stripping the varnish off the floors or something.  No.  The smell was coming from a pot out in the kitchen.  And as I watched – you’re not going to believe this – as God as my witness, my mother dumped a whole skillet of pork into that disgusting mixture of fermented cabbage.  “Sauerkraut,” she said.  I imagine it tastes just as bad as it smells.

Every New Year of my childhood was the same.  I sat at the table looking for something more tolerable to eat… and, just for the record, I’ve seen the look some of you are giving me.  I’ve seen it before.  And I’ll tell you what I told my family.  Read Leviticus 11:10. “But you must never eat animals from the sea or from rivers that do not have both fins and scales. They are detestable to you. This applies both to little creatures that live in shallow water and to all creatures that live in deep water.”  Hey, don’t judge me; I’m just being obedient to the Law.

Never understood why we couldn’t start the New Year with stromboli.

 

My family and I were divided over what foods were acceptable and which ones were not… just like many in the first-century church.

Take out your Bibles and turn with me to Colossians 2:16. While you’re turning there let me point out that God’s chosen people – the descendants of Jacob; Israel – were to set themselves apart from the rest of the world.  Before Jesus came along, it was following a lot of “dos and don’ts” that distinguished a person of God from a person of the world.  When a Jewish person acted too much like the rest of the world, Jewish teachers and Rabbi’s would instruct a person according to the Law.  And there were about 613 of them; 248 of them commanded “do this” and 365 that said, “don’t do that.”  The idea was that by following these Laws a person would restore their broken relationship with God.  Well, what was happening in Colossae is that some people were teaching that to really be a Christian, a person needed to keep following those Laws.  And Paul’s point is that adherence to those Laws is no longer necessary. 

  Paul writes, “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.  Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on pious self-denial or the worship of angels, saying they have had visions about these things. Their sinful minds have made them proud, and they are not connected to Christ, the head of the body. For he holds the whole body together with its joints and ligaments, and it grows as God nourishes it. You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires(Colossians 2:16-23).

Conquering evil desires.  That’s the point to all of this.  What does it take to overcome our sinful human nature?  Some people claimed it was found in obeying a list of dos and don’ts; a person wasn’t truly a Christian until they started observing certain customs or rituals or holy days.  But these Old Testament commands were merely a shadow, says Paul; they hinted at a future means to holiness (not to be confused as a means to Salvation.  Jewish teachers merely begin to assume they were).  It’s true.  God didn’t give those Old Testament food laws and festival instructions so that a person might be saved through their observance.  Rather, those Laws of clean and unclean foods and whatnot were given so that through a person's obedience, they might set themselves apart from the rest of the world; that’s what holiness means – to set apart.  In other words, the pagans might eat pork mixed with fermented cabbage, but not those who worshipped God.

Paul points us to Christ and reminds his readers that a person is set apart from the world because of their submission to Jesus, not laws.  We are saved through faith in the work of Jesus on the cross, not by what we eat or what we do.  As the author of Hebrews points out, following all those laws and offering a lifetime of sacrifices could never remove the feelings of guilt. (Hebrews 10:2).  Only Christ can help us conquer our evil desires, not following a list of laws.

 

The real battle men and women have been facing almost since the beginning is an attempt to overcome the evil desires in their heart.  Oh, I know; some people don’t really seem to be trying – it looks like they are feeding the evil desires of their heart, but for most people there is this battle that takes place within them to get control of their life.  A lot of people know deep in their heart that they are not living the kind of life that is pleasing to God.  To overcome this feeling of guilt – these evil desires – most people figure that if they can stop doing this or stop doing that, they might just get themselves on God’s good side.  Does that describe you?

Have you found yourself thinking that in order to earn God’s favor there are certain things you need to stop doing and things you need to start doing?  Tell me; how’s that working out for you?  Have you been successful in getting your life cleaned up?  Have you been able to overcome the evil desires in your heart?  I’m not sure who told you that you must not... or you need to... if you want to complete your salvation.  Those words are not found in the Bible.  In fact, Paul assures us that Jesus has already done this.  It’s true.  When you trust Jesus as your Savior – believing that His death on the cross covered EVERYTHING – then He has set you free from this nonsense that says you need to follow a long set of rules to be saved.

I wasn’t saved because of the food I ate or what I didn’t eat.  I wasn’t saved because I stopped doing this thing or stopped using those words.  I was saved because of what Jesus did.  And what sets me apart from the world is my submission to Him, not a bunch of laws and customs.

Here’s the main point: following rules does not remove our guilty feeling.  I mean, how much must you remove from your life until your guilt goes away?  It’s unfortunate but a person can spend a lifetime trying to chase away something that Jesus will freely remove. 

Sadly, humanity seems drawn to rules and regulations; they become checkmarks that measure our devotion to God.  Rules and regulations also allow us to measure our spirituality against others.  And in our self-righteousness, laws and regulations enable us to determine just how much more spiritual we are than those around us.  To that, Paul writes, “So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law” (Galatians 5:1).  It’s not a refusal to eat raw oysters that proves we are children of God, it’s our acceptance of Jesus that sets us free from a life of sin and death.

I’ll confess that it took me a while to understand this concept.

In my early years of being a follower of Jesus, I naively believed obedience to a long list of rules would draw me closer to God.  I was convinced the feeling of guilt – those evil desires within me – would go away if I removed certain things from my life (a list of dos and don’ts).  So, I burnt a big stack of albums that were part of the dark culture that held me captive.  Burning those records failed to remove the evil desires within me.  In fact, nothing I tried gave me the assurance I was looking for.  I made sacrifice after sacrifice in my life and still felt separated from the Father.  In truth, I didn’t feel accepted by God until I realized Jesus died for me BEFORE my trip to the burn barrel, not after I completed a list of dos and don’ts.

What Jesus did on the cross for you was enough – more than enough.  It is your acceptance of this that sets you apart from the rest of the world.

As Pastor Keven mentioned the other week, these evil desires – this “sinful nature” – is removed from us when we understand and accept what Jesus did for us when He willingly died in our place.

Not because we refused to eat sauerkraut.

x

No comments: