The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, January 14, 2019

Renewing Your Mind - January 13, 2019 sermon



By Pastor Greg ...

A woman is sitting at her deceased husband's funeral when a man leans in and asks, "Do you mind if I say a word?"  "No, go right ahead," the woman replies.  The man stands and clears his throat, then says "Plethora" and sits back down.  "Thanks," the woman says, "that means a lot."
I always say there is nothing like a good joke… and… I know what you’re thinking; in your mind, that was nothing like a good joke.  Oh well; to each his own.
I have always found that my outlook on life improves when I take time for a chuckle or a laugh.  I have been collecting jokes and funny stories since I was a child.  I tend to be happier when I focus on happier things.  Focusing on negative things will make me a negative person.  In Christian circles, this is called “counting your blessings.”  Our outlook in life tends to be brighter when we are thankful for what we have, instead of everything that is negative.

Now, before I get too far into today’s message, I want to make sure we both understand something.  When I say, “Someone is a Christian,” I’m talking about a person who has realized their relationship with God is broken, admits their sin is the problem and trusts that Jesus is the solution.  In biblical terms, these people were broken, felt convicted, and have confessed Jesus as their Savior.
Christians are people who have been spiritually reborn (see John 3).  So, when God says He expects Christians to mature in the faith, He is speaking to those who have given their lives to Jesus.
I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page here; I think it’s crucial we realize who God expects to mature.  A person who has never received God’s Spirit is certainly not equipped to change.
It is to Christians equipped to change that the author of Hebrews writes, “let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us[1] (Hebrews 12:1).  And, as I mentioned last week, we must work at removing the things in our life that keep us from growing as a Christian; we must remove those sinful actions and thoughts from our life - things that cause us to stumble and fail in Christian living and Christian witness.  However, what must we do to remove these stumbling blocks from our lives?  How do we stop sinning?
I’ll answer that question in a moment, but first, let me remind you of something every Christian needs to know: when we feel convicted about sin in our life, it is evidence that God is lovingly calling us to be transformed.  When a Christian feels remorse for the sinful things they have done, that’s God working in their heart; He is pointing out to one of His children an area in their life that is not holy; not Christ-like.  So, please, please, please hear this: when God reveals sin to a Christian, it’s not condemnation or judgment; God has not reached the end of His rope.  He is a loving Father who is pointing out areas that need to change.
With all that being said, the Next Step in our journey with Jesus is to respond to what the Spirit is saying.  When the Spirit convicts, our response is to take steps to remove that sin from our life which brings us back to the original question: how do we remove these sins from our life?
This whole discussion is actually covered in the New Testament book of Romans.  And Paul, the first-century evangelist, suggests it begins in the mind.  According to Paul our actions and behaviors follow our thoughts.
(Romans 12:1-2 New Century Version).  So brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be only for God and pleasing to him, which is the spiritual way for you to worship. Do not be shaped by this world; instead be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect”.[2]
Rather than condemn us, God has offered to show us grace and mercy (which is: not receiving what we deserve).  And Paul says our proper response is to offer Him our life (or “bodies” as some translations read).  Our lives become a pleasing offering to God when we stop being shaped by the world.  Paul says we are to “sacrifice” our worldly habits, attitudes, and addictions; and we do this by renewing our mind.
Earlier in the letter to the Roman Church, Paul wrote, “Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace[3] (Romans 8:5-6).  Just as the wrong kinds of food can damage the body, so too can the wrong things damage our mind and damage our spirit.  And, speaking from personal experience, Pauls’ words are quite true.
Early on, when I first started walking with Jesus, I fell in love with what He had done for me.  God had rescued me from a life dominated by sin, so I began to ask the Lord how to respond; I started asking God what he wanted from me.  It was in that time of prayer that the Spirit began to show me I was still being influenced by the customs and behaviors in this world.  My steady diet of destructive music was influencing my mind.  And when these destructive, angry, and hurtful words stopped pouring into my mind, I noticed a significant change in my relationship with God and with other people.  My angry and hurtful nature was being influenced by songs filled with anger and hate; I was an angry person because I had allowed angry words to fill my mind; my thinking influenced my actions.
Paul’s words are so right; “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”[4]  And this whole renewal process begins in honest prayer.  God has given you His Spirit to guide you.  He speaks to your heart and reveals the things in your life that are keeping you from being transformed.  And the Spirit doesn’t show us these things to condemn us; He reveals these things, so we might remove them from our lives and become more holy.
Maybe you don’t feel as close to God as you did at the beginning.  You feel like you are drifting away from the Lord.  You are finding yourself drawn right back into that same old sinful life from your past.  What can you do?  How do you take that next step in your relationship with God?  Let me tell you how.
You need to pray; you need to spend significant time getting to know God and His word.  You need to respond to what the Holy Spirit shows you; you need to be honest and admit the world is attempting to conform you.  You need to honestly evaluate what you permit in your life.  If you find that social media makes you angry, then choose to remove it from your life.  Maybe it’s the news, perhaps it’s music or the people who are influencing your life.  It could be any number of things.  But you need to honestly evaluate the things which fill your mind; according to Paul, what fills our mind is what directly influences our spirit.
I share this with you knowing full well that you have it much harder than I do.  I spend almost all of my time around Christians or in church-related activities.  But a great deal of your time is spent out in the world… which means you will need to be even more diligent in filtering what influences your mind.  You will need to work even harder to maintain a life that honors God.

No.  I’m not telling you to go off somewhere and live like a monk; you don’t need to live in a secluded monastery.  You can still live in the world.  However, to mature in your Christian faith, you must resist the temptation to be conformed by the world.  And in your situation, that takes a lot of work.  It involves making sacrifices.  It means stepping away from things or removing things from your life.  I had to literally take that stack of records and throw them in the burn barrel.  Radical, yes, but it was the sacrifice I needed to make.
I don’t know what is causing you to stumble; I have no idea how the world is conforming you.  But the Spirit knows.  He knows what is influencing your mind and your actions.  In love, He will reveal these things to you.   And please remember that I am committed to helping you live a victorious Christian life.  I will do what I can to help you be transformed instead of being conformed by the world.  Let me know how I can help.


[1] Tyndale House Publishers. (2013). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Heb 12:1). Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.
[2] The Everyday Bible: New Century Version. (2005). (Ro 12:1–2). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, Inc.
[3] Tyndale House Publishers. (2013). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (Ro 8:5–7). Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers.
[4] New American Standard Bible: 1995 update. (1995). (Ro 12:2). La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

No comments: