The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, December 11, 2017

Lessons from a Broken Chandelier - December 10, 2017 sermon


By Pastor Greg...



          There hung a fancy chandelier in the dining room at my childhood home.  It was quite delicate and hung just a bit too low from a brass chain that was attached to the ceiling.  If you were not careful, you could bump it with your head and rattle the glass globes.  I had this terrible fear of one day knocking it too hard causing it to fall from the ceiling.
          One Saturday my parents were away, and my younger sister and I spent the day at home alone.  Let me first say that for most of the day we were well behaved.  I can’t stress that enough.  But for a brief moment, we started to horse around.  I started chasing my sister around the house for some reason I can’t quite recall, and as she headed into the dining room, she threw a chair on the floor hoping to slow me down (please note that my sister THREW a dining room chair ON THE FLOOR!).  That chair was nothing more than a small hurdle for me.  Gracefully I launched myself up and over the chair, intending to hit the ground running and continue the pursuit.  But the moment I became air born, I knew I was in trouble.  Looking back, it was probably not a good idea to flail my arms in a futile attempt to change my trajectory.
          You know how time seems to freeze when something terrible is about to happen?  I remember thinking, “I wonder if the spanking is going to hurt.”  Not only did I break a couple of the globes, but also the whole chandelier broke loose from the ceiling.
          As I stood there looking in disbelief, my sister comes back into the room.  Now, she and I have always had such a loving, caring relationship with one another.  I’ve helped her, and here was an opportunity for her to help me.  She took one look at the chandelier swinging back and forth on the electrical wire that had been pulled from the plaster and at all the broken glass, and lovingly said: “Boy, you’re really gonna get it when mom and dad get home.”
          What a troubling turn of events that day.  Did I mention that we mostly were well behaved?  But because of a series of unfortunate events, I now found myself awaiting my father’s wrath.  And my sister was no help at all. 
          I must say, those were dark times; there was much despair as I sat there looking at the clock, dreading the moment my parents came home.  I wonder if this is how the people of Israel felt.  They had really messed up, and God disciplined them big time!  The Assyrian army nearly wiped out every Jew living in the northern part of the nation.  Foreigners were living everywhere.  But, despite their sin, they never stopped being God’s children.  God never completely abandoned them.  In fact, He says, 1Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever. The land of Zebulun and Naphtali will be humbled, but there will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, which lies along the road that runs between the Jordan and the sea, will be filled with glory.  The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine [1] (Isaiah 9:1-2).
Although the people in this part of Israel were living in dark times, one day they will be filled with glory.  In the area around the Sea of Galilee, the people will see a great light.  This, of course, is an apparent reference to Jesus of Nazareth, who just happened to live near Galilee.  Isaiah further describes Jesus as one who will, “rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David for all eternity” [2] (Verse 7).
          Jews living in other parts of the nation believed this Messiah would show grace to the people of Israel, but everyone else would feel His wrath.  The Messiah (that is, Jesus) would reestablish David’s kingdom and drive the wicked people from the land (consider the way Jews hated Samaritans).  But the problem is that this Child whose birthday we celebrate this time of the year is the Prince of Peace.  God intended this Wonderful Counselor to be for all nations and for all people.  When Christ was born, God intended to offer grace and mercy to the world.  Those living in darkness and despair would see a great light.  Yes, even people who break chandeliers.
          When my parents came home that night, the first thing I did was beg for grace.  I told them that it was an accident and that I was sorry for what I had done.  My father surprised me.  He wondered if either of us was hurt.  Then he offered me grace, which really disappointed my sister. 
          The birth of Jesus was announced as Good News.  What did the angels say to the shepherds?  “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. 11 The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David!”[3] (Luke 2:10-11).  If the Messiah’s birth was good news to all people, then God was probably not planning to make things worse.  The birth of Jesus is supposed to make things better… especially for those who need to feel grace.
          I think we sometimes forget this.  Sometimes it seems like Christians want God to punish all the wicked people out there.  But that attitude does not reflect the spirit of Christmas.  The spirit of Christmas is declared by the angels and echoed in the hearts of Christians who pray that those living in darkness might experience God’s grace, not His wrath.
          If you have indeed experienced the grace that God offers through this Christmas Child, then extend that same grace to those living around you.  Pray for them, especially if they happen to break a chandelier.
         
         


[1]Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation. Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.
[2]Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation.  Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.
[3] Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed., Lk 2:10–11). Carol Stream, IL

No comments: