The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, April 10, 2017

Son of Man - April 9th, 2017 sermon


By Pastor Greg

A motorist was about two hours from San Diego when he was flagged down by a man whose truck had broken down. The truck driver walked up to the car and asked, "Are you going to San Diego?"  "Sure am," answered the man, "Do you need a lift?" "Not for me. I'll be spending the next three hours fixing my truck. My problem is I've got two chimpanzees in the back that must be taken to the San Diego Zoo. They're a bit stressed already so I don't want to keep them on the road all day. Could you possibly take them to the zoo for me? I'll give you $100 for your trouble."  "I'd be happy to," said the motorist. So, the two chimpanzees were ushered into the back seat of the man's car and carefully strapped into their seat belts, and off they went. 
Five hours later, the truck driver finally reached San Diego when suddenly noticed the motorist walking down the street, holding hands with the two chimps.   Quickly he pulled off the road and ran over to the man. "What are you doing here?" he demanded, "I gave you $100 to take these chimpanzees to the zoo!"   "Yes, I know you did," said the man. "But we had money left over so now we're going to Sea World."
Poor guy.  He didn’t have a clue.  Kind of reminds me of the people who shouted for joy when Jesus rode into Jerusalem.
 
Today is Palm Sunday.  It’s called this because it was on this day Jesus rode into Jerusalem, headed for the cross.  In the Gospel of Mark, we read, And many spread their clothes on the road, and others cut down leafy branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then those who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: “Hosanna! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ 10Blessed is the kingdom of our father David That comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!”[1] (Mark 11:8-10).  However, no one in the crowd that day knew Jesus would be crucified.  They didn’t have a clue.  They had no idea that in 5 short days, Jesus would be hanging from a cross.  If they had known this, they would not have shouted “Hosanna” or waived palm branches in celebration.  But Jesus knew what awaited Him at the end of the week, and so did Satan.
If you are familiar with the Palm Sunday story, it seems the path to the cross was cleared of any obstacle.  Jesus heads to the cross unhindered.  And one can almost picture Satan and his minions celebrating in the spiritual world; gladly ushering Jesus to His death.
Because the path to the cross was cleared for Jesus, it’s obvious Satan had no idea how the Lord’s death would signify his defeat.  Had Satan known what he would lose because of Jesus’ death, he would have blocked the Lord every step along the way.  Satan felt he was winning a victory, but he didn’t have a clue. He was merely biting at Jesus’ feet; soon, the Lord would crush his head (compare Genesis 3:15).  That Palm Sunday, things were happening in the unseen world, but the apostles didn't have a clue.
If you’re like most Christians, you don’t realize what is happening in the unseen world.  We don’t have a clue.  You and I cannot see what’s happening right now between the angels of God and the demons of Satan.  And what we may not realize is that these spiritual battles affect those of us in this world.
For example, let me tell you a story about Daniel.  He’s that guy from the Old Testament who was thrown in the Lion’s Den.  Well, one day, Daniel has this vision about events certain to happen in the future – times of war and great hardship.  And this glimpse into the spiritual world was enough to drive Daniel to his knees.
In the third year of the reign of King Cyrus of Persia, Daniel (also known as Belteshazzar) had another vision. He understood that the vision concerned events certain to happen in the future—times of war and great hardship.
When this vision came to me, I, Daniel, had been in mourning for three whole weeks. All that time I had eaten no rich food. No meat or wine crossed my lips, and I used no fragrant lotions until those three weeks had passed.
On April 23, as I was standing on the bank of the great Tigris River, I looked up and saw a man dressed in linen clothing, with a belt of pure gold around his waist. His body looked like a precious gem. His face flashed like lightning, and his eyes flamed like torches. His arms and feet shone like polished bronze, and his voice roared like a vast multitude of people.
Only I, Daniel, saw this vision. The men with me saw nothing, but they were suddenly terrified and ran away to hide. So I was left there all alone to see this amazing vision. My strength left me, my face grew deathly pale, and I felt very weak. Then I heard the man speak, and when I heard the sound of his voice, I fainted and lay there with my face to the ground.
10 Just then a hand touched me and lifted me, still trembling, to my hands and knees. 11 And the man said to me, “Daniel, you are very precious to God, so listen carefully to what I have to say to you. Stand up, for I have been sent to you.” When he said this to me, I stood up, still trembling.
12 Then he said, “Don’t be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day you began to pray for understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your request has been heard in heaven. I have come in answer to your prayer. 13 But for twenty-one days the spirit prince of the kingdom of Persia blocked my way. Then Michael, one of the archangels, came to help me, and I left him there with the spirit prince of the kingdom of Persia. 14 Now I am here to explain what will happen to your people in the future, for this vision concerns a time yet to come.”
15 While he was speaking to me, I looked down at the ground, unable to say a word. 16 Then the one who looked like a man touched my lips, and I opened my mouth and began to speak. I said to the one standing in front of me, “I am filled with anguish because of the vision I have seen, my lord, and I am very weak. 17 How can someone like me, your servant, talk to you, my lord? My strength is gone, and I can hardly breathe.”
18 Then the one who looked like a man touched me again, and I felt my strength returning. 19 “Don’t be afraid,” he said, “for you are very precious to God. Peace! Be encouraged! Be strong!” [2] (Daniel 10:1-19).
A major spiritual battle was taking place.  God had sent an angel to explain this vision, but the demon who controlled the king of Persia was trying to keep Daniel from understanding future events.
Daniel didn’t know this. He had no idea what was happening in the spiritual world.  For three weeks Daniel’s life was a wreck, and he had no idea why.  He had no idea why God had not answered.
Only later did the apostles understand the spiritual victory Jesus accomplished on the cross.  Later, John understood this (1 John 4:4).  So did Paul (Ephesians 6:12).  But at the crucifixion, they wept.  At that moment, they had no idea what was happening in the spiritual world.
Have you ever found yourself there?  Have you ever felt like the forces of darkness are working overtime in your life?  Do feel troubled about things, yet don’t quite understand why?  Maybe there are things happening in the spiritual world right now; things that are affecting your life today.  Maybe Satan is working against you, trying to keep your heart troubled and your mind confused.
In those troubled days, may I remind you what this angel told Daniel?  This messenger of God reminds Daniel that he was very precious to God (Daniel 10:11, 18).  And those words for Daniel are meant for you and me as well.  You and I are precious to God.  Things may not be going right in our life, but we are precious to God.  Our life might feel like a train wreck, but we are precious to God.   We know this because at just the proper time Jesus walked into Jerusalem to win the spiritual battle for you and for me.
I tell you all of this so you might be aware of the spiritual battle which took place on Palm Sunday.  Palm Sunday is a day of triumph because it marks the beginning of Satan’s defeat.  On Palm Sunday, Jesus begins a spiritual battle for the eternal soul of every man, woman, and child.  As Satan tried to lay claim to our soul, Jesus goes to the cross.  He fought the battle which ransomed our souls.


[1] The New King James Version. (1982). (Mk 11:8–10). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
[2] Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed., Da 10:1–19). Carol Stream, IL.

No comments: