The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, February 27, 2017

Heart Surrender - February 26, 2017 sermon



By Pastor Greg

A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a BMW came rushing toward him in a cloud of dust. The driver, a young man, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, “If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"  Bud looked at the man then looked at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answered, "Sure, why not?"  The guy whipped out his laptop, connected to his iPhone, and surfed to a NASA page on the Internet, where he called up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which then scanned the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. He then exported the photo to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds, the image was processed and the data stored. Finally, he turned to Bud and said, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."  "That’s right,” said Bud.  “Well, I guess you can take one of my calves.”  He watched the young man select one of the animals and stuff it into the trunk of his car.  Then Bud said to the young man. “Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"  The young man thought about it for a second and then said, "Okay, why not?"  Bud said, "You’re a Member of Congress.” “Wow! That’s correct” said the young man, "but how did you guess that?"  "No guess required,” answered Bud. “You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars’ worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and, you don’t know a thing about how working people make a living … or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep." … "Now, give me back my dog.”
I get that.  I understand how frustrating it is when people who have no clue tell you how to do your job.  Do you know what I mean?  And how about in spiritual matters or issues concerning the Kingdom of God.  People who have never surrendered their heart to Jesus start telling Christians all about Jesus, or God, or the Bible.  Doesn’t make sense to me.  There is too much of the world and not enough of Jesus in their heart.  Perhaps this would explain Pilate’s reaction to Jesus.
Then Pilate had Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip. The soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they put a purple robe on him. “Hail! King of the Jews!” they mocked, as they slapped him across the face. Pilate went outside again and said to the people, “I am going to bring him out to you now, but understand clearly that I find him not guilty.” Then Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said, “Look, here is the man!”  When they saw him, the leading priests and Temple guards began shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” “Take him yourselves and crucify him,” Pilate said. “I find him not guilty.” The Jewish leaders replied, “By our law he ought to die because he called himself the Son of God.” When Pilate heard this, he was more frightened than ever. He took Jesus back into the headquarters again and asked him, “Where are you from?” But Jesus gave no answer. 10 “Why don’t you talk to me?” Pilate demanded. “Don’t you realize that I have the power to release you or crucify you?” 11 Then Jesus said, “You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.” 12 Then Pilate tried to release him, but the Jewish leaders shouted, “If you release this man, you are no ‘friend of Caesar.’ Anyone who declares himself a king is a rebel against Caesar.”  13 When they said this, Pilate brought Jesus out to them again. Then Pilate sat down on the judgment seat on the platform that is called the Stone Pavement (in Hebrew, Gabbatha). 14 It was now about noon on the day of preparation for the Passover. And Pilate said to the people, “Look, here is your king!” 15 “Away with him,” they yelled. “Away with him! Crucify him!” “What? Crucify your king?” Pilate asked. “We have no king but Caesar,” the leading priests shouted back. 16 Then Pilate turned Jesus over to them to be crucified. So they took Jesus away.
These Jewish Religious Leaders had no clue.  It’s as if the Devil swept his hand before their eyes and said “This isn’t the Messiah you’re looking for.  Move along.”  However, as shocking as that is, look how Pilate reacts.  He has a wrestling match with his heart.  Earlier, his wife had told him to “Leave that innocent man alone.”  She had suffered through a terrible nightmare about him the night before (see Matthew 27:19).  Then here, these Jewish Leaders inform him that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God (verse 7).  These events caused Pilate to become quite disturbed.  But, rather than listen to his heart, Pilate gives in to worldly pressure.  His job was more important than surrendering to the Lordship of Jesus. Finally, Jesus reminds this Roman Governor who is really in charge.  That shook him up a bit.
When confronted with the Lordship of Jesus, people typically respond in three different ways.  They fight against it (Pilate), they deny it (Religious Leaders), or they surrender their heart and allow Jesus to be Lord of their life (the apostles).
I doubt many who go to church would self-identify with the Jewish Religious Leaders (the Sanhedrin, as they are called).  I mean, which of us would look Jesus straight in the eye and doubt?  And I know most of us would say we have nothing in common with Pilate.  We would have surrendered to Jesus.  But I’m not so sure this is true … at least not for me.  You see, sometimes I think many of us have a wrestling match with our heart.  We struggle with Heart Surrender in certain areas of our lives.  We call Jesus Lord, but when it comes to living like Jesus is our Lord, well, that’s where things get tough.
From the things we do, the words we say, and the life we live, we must allow Jesus to be Lord of all.  This takes a lot of work.  It just doesn’t come naturally.  It takes a conscience effort.  It takes self-evaluation.  We should assess the amount of time we spend in the world, and contrast that with the amount of time we spend with the Lord.  If you’re like most, the balance is way off.  How much of your time do you give to Jesus?  And when I say “Give your time to Jesus” I’m talking about time spent with Him in prayer and study, not just the hour on Sunday morning.  I’m talking about opening your heart to Jesus and allowing Him to guide and direct your entire life.  That’s Heart Surrender.
When it comes to worry and fear, we Christians are not much different than a non-Christian.  The same sadness, depression, hopelessness, and despair is heard from Christians and non-Christians alike.  Why is that?  Why do we, who have been given a peace the world cannot receive still fret and worry (Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage – John 14:27).  Maybe it’s because we fill our lives with depressing stories and worldly tensions; listening to songs that draw us into the world and not into the Kingdom of God.  When our emotional diet is sadness and anger, is it any wonder that our lives reflect this?  When we fill our hearts with the worries of the world, there is no room left for Jesus. Have we forgotten that He is to be our Lord and King?
I think each of us struggles with this.  I know I do.  I need to give God more of my time and attention.  I know this because I get grumpy and irritable when Jesus has taken a back seat in my life.  I am not fit to live with when I get into a wrestling match with the Lord; when He says “Go” and I stay.  I can tell when my heart is filled with the worries of the world and not the Peace of Christ because I am tense and quick to anger. I’m just like Pilate.
We give our heart over to Jesus for salvation, but giving over our lives is much more challenging.  And when we don’t, we miss out on the blessings in this life.  When Jesus isn’t Lord of our life, we live in fear for tomorrow.  We stop living in faith.  This even affects a Church.  When a local congregation refuses to make Jesus Lord of its life, that church stops making great leaps of faith and merely exist from day to day.  This happens because the people of that church make no room for Jesus.

Those who deny that Jesus is Lord are living outside the Kingdom of God.  We can’t expect them to display “Heart Surrender” while they remain proud and stubborn (again, consider the actions of the Religious Leaders).  But shouldn’t we expect a “born-again” Christian to display this Heart Surrender?  Shouldn’t it be evident that a Christian has allowed Jesus to be Lord of their life?

No comments: