The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, November 21, 2016

The Task - November 20, 2016 sermon





By Pastor Greg


There was a man who wanted to build a bar in town. A church that was next door firmly opposed it, but the construction of the bar went on. Just before it was finished, lightning struck the bar, and it burned to the ground.  The church gloated and credited the Lord. The bar owner then sued the church, claiming that the congregation’s prayers had cost him his building.  The church leaders denied any responsibility. The case went to court, and the local judge had no idea how to rule on the matter.  He said he had a bar owner who believed in the power of prayer and a church that did not!
My guess is that the church didn’t really pray all that much anyway.  Sure, they grumbled, but that’s not praying.  It’s the same with loving Jesus.  A lot of people say they do, but their actions sure don’t demonstrate that fact.  I think a lot of people like Jesus, but they don’t seem to love Him.  If they did, they would obey His commandments.
Hey, before you start throwing rotten tomatoes, those are not my words.  Jesus said this Himself.
21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.  22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. 24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. 26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. 28 Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am. 29 I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe. [1]
Judas raises a fascinating question here.  Why would Jesus only reveal Himself to those who love Him (Verse 21)?  Why didn’t He walk back into the Temple Sunday morning and show Himself to those who had Him crucified?  The question Judas asked surrounded the issue of reaching the lost (“why not the world” in verse 22).  “What has happened that you will only reveal Yourself to us,” Judas asks.  A legitimate question since Jesus had previously been revealing Himself to those in Israel.  Something had changed, and if Jesus wasn’t going to show Himself to the world, then who was?
Look closely at how Jesus responds to this question.  He says those who love Him obey His commandments (verse 21).  They do what He says (verse 23).  However, those who don’t love Him do not obey Him (verse 24).  In other words, Jesus revealed Himself to those who were willing to obey His commands.  
And what are those commands?
Before you answer that question, let me remind you that it is not obedience to the Lords commands that leads us to the cross.  That is accomplished through conviction of sin.  Obedience to His commands, on the other hand, causes us to focus inward, transforming our lives into one that mirrors Jesus.  We live differently than the world; we love our neighbors and pray for those who persecute us.  We become honest, patient, peaceful.  However, obedience to the Lords commands is also focused outward, and this is where Judas’ question fits in.  If Jesus only reveals Himself to those who love Him, how then will the other people in this world come to know Him?  That’s the question Jesus answers here.
A Christian’s life is to be marked with responsibility and duty.  We should be telling and helping and loving and comforting those still living in darkness – which is exactly what Jesus told the apostles to do; go and tell and teach into the ends of the earth (Matthew 28:19-20).  You and I are to do the same.
Would it have been easier if Jesus had revealed Himself to the world?  Probably.  But that is not part of His plan.  According to His plan, He is in Heaven preparing a place for us and praying for us.  We are left with the task of teaching and telling.  It’s what the Master has commanded us to be doing.  Our job, as the New Testament Church, is to continue the work Jesus began while He was on earth.  And, we are given the Spirit to teach us and instruct us in this task.
Now, I know I preach about this quite often, but I simply cannot emphasize this enough.  The Church in America is suffering from an epidemic.  Countless congregations are filled with consumers, not disciples.  Far too many people are spectators, not laborers.  Based on the level of commitment displayed by many Christians, it seems they merely like Jesus.  Just too many Christians act like they don’t care if someone will spend eternity in Hell.  And with that kind of attitude, it sure doesn’t seem like they love Jesus.
I don’t know if any of this applies to you.  That’s between you and Jesus.  But if you and I were really serious about loving Jesus, we would be inviting anyone to come and meet Jesus.  That’s the point here.  Jesus expects something from us.  He expects us to continue the work He first began.  But it sure seems many Christians don’t.  Did you know that in successful, growing Churches it takes 20 people one year to reach a person for the Lord?[2]  And that’s the “good” statistic.
I don’t know if it’s harder today to reach the lost or if the Church just doesn’t really care.  I don’t know that answer.  But I do know that Jesus revealed Himself to you and me for an important reason, and that is so we might tell others about His death and resurrection, and about His offer of eternal life.  And if we truly love our Lord, we will obey His commands.



[1] Tyndale House Publishers. (2007). Holy Bible: New Living Translation (3rd ed.) (Jn 14:22–29). Carol Stream, IL
[2] Breakout Churches by Thom Rainer © 2005, Zondervan

No comments: