The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Book of Remembrance - June 19, 2016 sermon






By Pastor Greg

          A mother was walking with her four-year-old daughter one day when the little girl picked up something from the ground and started to put it in her mouth.  Of course, the mother told her not to do that.  “Why?” asked the little girl.  “Because it’s dirty and probably covered with germs,” said the mother.  The little girl looked at her mother in amazement.  “Wow!  How do you know all this stuff?”  Thinking quickly, the mother responded, “All mothers know this stuff.  It’s on the Mommy Test.  You have to know it, or they don’t let you become a Mommy.”  Mother and daughter walked along in silence for a few minutes while the little girl pondered this new information.  After a while, she exclaimed, “Oh I get it now.  Then if you flunk, you have to be the daddy!”
Oh ha, ha, ha.  Very Funny.  Just what I needed.  Another joke that makes father’s look stupid.  Like we need any more help. 


 Greg, Heather, and Andrea. Moulton, Iowa, 2004
Sometimes I think my children only remember the stupid things I’ve done.  Sometimes I think they only remember when I was angry or when I disappointed them or when I’ve embarrassed them (like the “lemon flavored snow cones joke” from Monster’s Inc. Okay girls, so it took me while to get it. Stop reminding me of this painful experience.  Next time give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it)  But every now and then they remind me of something that brought them joy.  They will show me a picture and reflect back on that special time.  There are memories of joy recorded on the hearts of my children, and you know, those are the memories that surprise me.  Didn’t expect they’d remember the good.
 I do the same thing with my father.  Sure, there were times when he made me angry, but then there are the fond memories.  For example, every time I hear the word Bar Mitzvah, I think of my father.  My family was attending a wedding in New Jersey for my cousin.  The reception was held at a multi-venue banquet facility.  Part way through the reception, we couldn’t find dad.  We thought he went out to the bathroom.  Only later did we learn that my father walked into a Bar Mitzvah celebration just down the hall.  My dad crashed the party.  Picked up a Yarmulke at the door and went in.  I love my Dad.  I’ve filed that memory away under “Things I need to try someday when my family’s not around”. 
I know there are things about your father that have bothered you for years.  We all have them because our fathers are indeed human.  They are going to make mistakes.  However, I think there are probably some fond memories as well – things that make you smile.  I mean, after all, there are good memories as well as the bad.
Making memories.  All of us are in the process of making memories.  Either we give memories to others, or we are forming memories from others.  A Father is either giving his children memories, or he is receiving memories from his children.  It would be wrong to assume that all memories are bad.
I think the same thing can be said about God.  What I mean is that God does not just remember all the things we have done wrong.  Our heavenly Father also remembers what we have done right or when we have pleased Him in some way.  I know we tend to believe that God is keeping a record of all our offenses.  Somehow we’ve been taught that every time we do something wrong, a note is placed in a permanent file in Heaven.  We learned at a young age to be careful little hands what we do, be careful little feet where we go, and be careful little tongue what we say because the Father up above is looking down in love.  And we have visions of God opening page number 3,279 and recording yet another time when we did not live up to His expectations.  But it has occurred to me that if we have called Jesus our Lord and Savior, God is receiving good memories from us.  He is actually keeping a “Book of Remembrance” of those who bring Him joy.
In the book of Malachi, there is a short and seldom mentioned reference to a “Book of Remembrance.”  In it were recorded the good things that a group of Jews had done because they honored God and were obedient to His word. Malachi 3:16-18 says, 16 At that time those who feared the Lord spoke to one another. The Lord took notice and listened. So a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who feared Yahweh and had high regard for His name. 17 “They will be Mine,” says the Lord of Hosts, “a special possession on the day I am preparing. I will have compassion on them as a man has compassion on his son who serves him.  18 So you will again see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve Him. [1] 
I wonder if God is still keeping track of what we've been doing right?  We spend our day’s laboring for Christ and then have the audacity to think God doesn’t notice?  Do you really believe He doesn't see the times that you pray for others, or when you reach out to people who have been cast aside by society?  Do you think God is blind to the sacrifices we’ve made for Him and His Church?  Don’t you think He knows when we swallow angry words and respond in love?  Doesn’t God know when someone experiences grace, mercy, and love because you introduced them to Jesus?  Have you ever thought that God is keeping a scrapbook of your life?  As hard as it may be for you to imagine, God might just be sitting in heaven right now with a scrapbook of your life lying open in His lap.  Calling the angels near, He shows them about the time you chose Him over Satan.  Or the time you sent an encouraging card to someone who was suffering.  He shows them the meal you took over to the young couple that just had a baby.  Your Father in Heaven is watching you, and He is adding new pages to your Book of Remembrance day by day.
          It’s human nature to only remember the bad.  We tend to dwell on this.  We are consumed by the knowledge that someone, somewhere, only remembers the times we’ve messed up.  However, I have found incredible joy with the thought that God has been keeping track of the times I’ve done what is right.  Like a proud parent, He’s gluing stories and pasting pictures in a scrapbook of my life (on fireproof paper, of course).  It warms my heart to think that in heaven there is another “Permanent Record,” filled with times I’ve made God proud.
Fathers, your children do remember the good times.  And so too does your Father in Heaven.  Instead of beating yourself up once again for all the things you’ve done wrong, this Father’s Day please know that God sees the things you do that are good and right and worthy of praise.  I would encourage you to spend the day thinking about what things might be in your “Book of Remembrance.”




[1] The Holy Bible: Holman Christian standard version. 2009 (Mal 3:16–18). Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers.

No comments: