The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Crutch

I overheard a comment this morning that took me back to my teenage years. I spent 6 months in a cast back in 1977. I walked on crutches the whole time. I had to learn how to walk up and down stairs with crutches. I had to learn how to carry my books at school while using crutches. I had to discover a unique way of carrying my lunch tray while using crutches. Although I could hardly wait for the day I could put them down, the doctor explained why I needed to use them. Many tendons, nerves, veins, and arteries had been cut in the accident, and I ran the risk of tearing things apart if I did not depend on these crutches.
I was reminded of this period in my life because I overheard someone claim that Jesus is a crutch. This whole idea of Jesus being a crutch can be heard in a statement once made by Jesse Ventura. “Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers.” Many people view religion as something for the weak minded.  The intelligent and wise among us see the faithful as simple-minded fools. "There is no polite way to suggest to someone that they have devoted their life to a folly" (Daniel Dennet). I could go on. The world seems filled with people who view Christians as weak-minded fools; individuals who have been duped into believing a myth. We need God because we are too weak to face life on our own. We need Jesus because we don't have the guts to take responsibility for our actions. Jesus is a crutch.
These people remind me of the woman at the well. We meet her in John 4. At one point in the conversation, Jesus says to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life” (John 4:12-14).  In other words, Jesus offers to help a person whose life is a wreck.  No matter what they do, they remain "thirsty".  He offers to become a "crutch" - to support those who cannot deal with their burden on their own.  In sarcasm, she replies, "Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw” (John 4:15). Jesus seemed like a crutch. She didn't need Him to fix her. She didn't need His help to live a healthy life. Jesus seemed like a fool until He pointed out just how "sick" she truly was.  Reminding her of her many broken relationships, Jesus says that if she was so good at living on her own, then why did her relationships fail so often (John 4:16).
Like this woman, many today defiantly reject Jesus or God. They drag themselves emotionally and spiritually through life, damaging their heart and soul. Rather than admit their weakness, they stand on wobbly legs, broken and bleeding, crying out "There's nothing wrong with me. I don't need a crutch". And they call me the weak one. They call me simple-minded. They call me the fool.
Maybe they are right. Maybe I am the fool. Maybe I am weak. Maybe I should admit this with no shame.
To deny that Jesus is supporting me and strengthening me is to claim that I can do all these things on my own. If I need no crutch, then I confess there is no wound. To need no crutch is to admit I need no help. But that would be a lie.

I am, like many of you, a person who suffers from a debilitating wound. I am a man filled with sin. And no amount of effort on my own will remove that sin from my life. I might try to be good - to walk on my own - but because of the wound of sin, I WILL fall again. I WILL stumble. I would be a fool to deny my weakness. I would be a fool to ignore the wound of sin that has debilitated my heart. I would be a fool to ignore the many times in my life when sin causes me to fall.  
I am weak.  I am a weary soul who is burdened by sin.  I need help.  If that makes me a simple-minded fool, then so be it.  I admit that I need a crutch.
On the other hand, if you don't need one, if you don't need any help and are doing just fine on your own, Hallelujah!  Good for you!  But please don't judge me for being a broken and busted soul who can carry his burden no further.  I am a weary soul who is heaven laden with sin.  Maybe you are not, but I am, and I need help.  I need a crutch.
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).


No comments: