The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, June 29, 2015

David’s Prayer of Confession - June 21, 2015


By Pastor Greg





The other day I had a debate with someone who accused me of being a good man.  She insisted that I behaved better than many of the other people she meets.  She said I was kind and polite.  That made me a good man.  She said I was a good man because I genuinely care about the problems she and her colleagues were facing.  I pray for them, and that makes me a good man.  I was a minister; therefore, I was a good man.  Of course, I argued that she only saw the way I behaved.  She didn’t see the real me.
I get real uncomfortable when someone puts me on a pedestal.  One wrong move or if I allow my life to get off balance for just a moment, I come crashing down off that pedestal, disappointing those who have placed me there.  This is why I argued with Tina.  I didn’t want her to view me as some superhero of morality.  However, the more I thought and prayed about this conversation, I wondered if what she was saying just might be true.  Maybe I’m not such a bad fellow after all.
I have a tendency to think back and remember the mistakes I have made in my life.  I can remember the times I disappointed my parents.  I remember being disciplined by my father.  He lectured me.  He scolded me.  He challenged me to see people in a different way.  He made me think about the consequences of my words and my actions.  He insisted I go to church.  The point is, dad expected certain things from me.  He wanted to see me become a good man.  If Tina is right, then apparently that is what happened.  Because of my father’s instruction and discipline, I am a better person than I was.  I was corrected when I made a mistake.  I was punished for disobedience.  I was taught to be honest, loving, and caring.  It may have taken a while, but it might just be possible that I am finally learning what my father had been teaching all along.
God does the same.
Consider the life of King David.  As God looked at this young man, He said, “I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart. He will do everything I want him to do” (Acts 13:22).  Yet even David needed to be disciplined.  For example, in a moment of passion, David has an affair with the wife of one of his soldiers.  He arranges for the soldier to be killed in battle.  Therefore, his Father in Heaven scolds David.  God disciplines David.  Speaking through Nathan the Prophet, God confronts David’s sin.  David’s response to this discipline is found in Psalm 51.
          1 Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin. For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just. For I was born a sinner— yes, from the moment my mother conceived me. But you desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there. Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me— now let me rejoice. Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. 11 Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. 13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels, and they will return to you. 14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness. 15 Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise you. 16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. 18 Look with favor on Zion and help her; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit— with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings. Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.”
          I am struck by David’s attitude.  He realized that his sin caused a break in his relationship with God.  God wanted David to become a better man.  This is why God did not hesitate to show David what he had done wrong.  God lectured David.  He disciplined David.  He made David think about the consequences of his actions.  God taught David to be honest, loving, and caring.  Although it took a while, David realized that his behavior was destroying his relationship with God.  So David admits his mistake.  He comes to God and says, “You are right.  I have sinned.  I have done something evil”.  Then David prays that God would forgive him.
          David gives us a tremendous example of biblical prayer.  You see, sometimes the storm of guilt we feel raging in our heart is God trying to help us become a better person.  God corrects us because He loves us.  He understands that our sin interferes with the relationship we have with Him.  This is why He corrects.  He corrects us so that we might become a better person – a person who is honest, loving, and caring. 
          What we learn from David’s prayer is that if we confess our sin and admit our guilt – if we admit that God is right – God will show us mercy.  He will forgive us.  God will wash us and make us whiter than snow.  We also learn that the reason behind this guilt – the reason God has shown us what behavior is sinful – is that He desires to give us a clean heart.  God desires to be with us and near us, but in our sinfulness, the relationship is broken.  We also learn that by allowing God to wash us and cleanse us (to teach us and instruct us to become a better person than we were), others will begin to see the results of our open relationship with God.  People like Tina will see the results of our relationship with God.
          [Just as a side note, this relationship is what Satan is attempting to destroy.  He did this in the garden with Eve and Adam.  He destroyed the relationship by changing God’s rules.  He told Eve, “That’s not what God said” (Genesis 3:4-5).  And by changing God’s words, Eve and Adam sinned.  That sin, of course, broke their relationship with God.  Some people are doing the same thing today.  They attempt to change what God has said.  They remove certain sins from God Word. What they are attempting to do is no different from what Satan did – seduce us into sinning so our relationship with God is broken.]
          Today, God has given us the Holy Spirit to convict us when we sin (John 16:8).  However, the purpose behind this conviction is to bring us back to the Father.  This conviction often times feels like a storm.  David said it felt like his joy had been stripped away (Psalm 51:12).  It’s like that gnawing feeling you get in your gut when you’ve done something wrong and you worry how dad is going to react.  You didn’t want to, but you made a bad choice.  Dad will be upset, so you avoid him.  You won’t talk to him. However, until you resolve the issue, your relationship with your dad will not be the same.  It’s the same with God.  Your relationship with God will not be same until you confess what you have done wrong.
          This is why it is essential that we pray when we’ve done something wrong.  Prayer is the way we build our relationship with God.  And it is through prayer that our relationship is healed.  In addition (and this is the surprising part) people will begin to notice you’ve changed.  They will begin to see the results of a close relationship with your Heavenly Father.  They might even pull you aside and call you a good person.  I know, you will be tempted to argue with them, but maybe they are right.  Maybe by allowing God to teach us and correct us, we do become a better person in the end.

If my earthly father could teach me a thing or two about being a good person, I imagine my Heavenly Father could do this as well.

No comments: