The Apostle Paul calls us Jars of Clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). As followers of Jesus we must allow the Word of God to fill us with it's message of Truth and Grace. In this way, we become a "vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work" (2 Timothy 2:21).

Monday, May 14, 2018

My Mother, the Psychic - May 13, 2018 Mother's Day sermon


By Pastor Greg...


Have you heard the latest news?  It seems there is legislation in Harrisburg that would allow PennDOT to place speed cameras in active work zones on limited access highways.  Well, that’s great news, am I right?  Even when the police are not around, they will be able to tell if you have been speeding.
We didn’t have that kind of technology when I was younger.  We didn’t need it.  We had mothers.
My mother was a psychic.  No, seriously.  She should have been on the Ed Sullivan show (And now a really terrific act all the way from Pennsylvania.  Put your hands together for Lois).  I kid you not; I would pull in the driveway, and there was mom with that look on her face.  Somehow, she knew.  She always knew.
My mother had to constantly look over my shoulder when I was younger… which became a full-time job for her.  I was quite a handful.  I can still remember the lectures.  Mother would talk to me about good and acceptable behavior.  She would go on and on about why certain behaviors and actions were wrong.  Eventually, she would let out a sigh and, exasperated, remind me that I was a child of God.  I don’t know if she was trying to teach me this or convince herself.
I understand now what my mother was attempting to do.  She was trying to pass along godliness.  She desired that my behavior would be guided by Christian principles; that my life reflected Jesus.  And she wanted me to act this way even when she was not watching.
          Many mothers bring their children to church or Sunday school in hopes that they might learn godly characteristics; that they might learn how to love, how to be more joyful, how to be more peaceful, how to be patient and kind, and to learn how to practice some self-control.  For this reason, many godly mothers continue to teach their children godly characteristics.  And most mothers are looking forward to a day when their children can learn to do these things even when she is not watching.
          So, what is the best way to make that happen?  May I suggest you follow the example of Eunice and Lois.  These two women passed along their faith to a young man named Timothy.  And his faith caught the attention of the Apostle Paul.
          Writing to his young friend Timothy, Paul say, I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.[1] (2 Timothy 1:5-7). 
At what point were Lois and Eunice able to stop looking over this boy’s shoulder?  What happened that caused Timothy to develop these characteristics on his own?  When he left home to follow the traveling Apostle, how did they know the boy would live a godly life even though they were not around?
          Eunice was a Jew who took the responsibility of teaching her son Timothy the Holy Scriptures.  Paul admits this, as he writes, “You have been taught the Holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus [2] 2 Tim. 3:15).  From early childhood, his godly mother Eunice and his faithful grandmother Lois taught him the Word of God.  But I believe it was more than simply teaching these things.  I suspect Timothy was changed because he saw his mother and grandmother live what they believed.  They allowed Timothy to see their faith, not just lecture the boy about the faith.  But also notice what else Paul says here; these women helped Timothy “receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.”
          As Timothy watched his mother and grandmother live their faith, they passed along to the young man the reason for what he was seeing in them.  These two women were loving, patient, and kind because they had been “reborn” through faith in Jesus.  It was the Spirit living in them that enabled them to live in the world but not like the world; faith in Christ is what made them different.
          I would say the same thing happened in my own life.  My mother could have preached to me until she was blue in the face.  But until I learned to be the type of person who was surrendered to God and allowed Him to work through me, she still had to watch over my shoulder; guiding and directing me to model godly characteristics in my life.  But a day came when what I saw lived in my mother and what I saw lived in my grandmother was passed on to me; I learned how to be a person surrendered to the influence of God because it was modeled for me by a Lois in my own life. 
          Godliness is more often caught than taught.  Chances are Timothy caught godliness from his mother and grandmother.  He saw two women who were conduits; ladies who were surrendered to God’s influence and who allowed His love, His joy, His peace, patience, kindness, and gentleness to live through them.  Isn’t it beautiful that the faith which filled first Lois and then Eunice now filled Timothy?  It was caught, not just taught.
          Mothers, you have a tremendous opportunity to model godliness to your children; actually, every woman in this place has a chance to be an influence in a child’s life.  Every woman can model godliness to the children in this place.  As the children of this church watch you (and they are watching you), you help create a child of faith when they see faith demonstrated in you.
          Mothers, I challenge you to not just teach godly principles but to also model a holy life.  I can tell you that there is one young man who didn’t believe it because he was told but believed because he saw it lived out day by day in a mother and in a grandmother.  And ladies, if there are no children in your life, please know that you still can influence the children in our church family; not just by teaching faith but by living the faith for all to see.
          And don’t forget to tell them how.  Tell the children how they can become loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and controlled.  Tell them that these godly characteristics they see in you can be theirs through faith in Christ Jesus.


[1]Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation. "Text edition"--Spine. (2nd ed.) (2 Ti 1:5-7). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.
[2]Tyndale House Publishers. (2004). Holy Bible : New Living Translation. "Text edition"--Spine. (2nd ed.) (2 Ti 3:15). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House Publishers.

No comments: